Potts Violin Studio Policies
My studio policies are based on over a decade of observing what the optimum learning situations are for serious study of the violin. Please study these general policies carefully as they will be our guide in the year ahead.
In The Lesson
- Attend all lessons and arrive 5 minutes early to use the bathroom and get your instrument ready.
- You may use the cellphone in the lesson room only for recording lesson material for home practice. (ie: no texting or phone calls please)
- Siblings are welcome if they can sit quietly in the adjacent waiting room without disturbing the parent, student, or teacher.
- I prioritize students who prioritize their violin study: a minimum of 6 days practice days/week is expected.
- Listening and review are top priority in the home practice.
- My assignments are not suggestions. Rather, they are the key to your child’s continued happiness and success with the instrument. Please ask for clarification if I have not communicated an assignment clearly.
Tuition and Attendance
- Pay Fall tuition by Aug 15, Spring tuition by Dec 15th, and Summer tuition by June 11th.
- There will be no make-up lessons if you miss an agreed upon weekly lesson time – please respect the commitment both you and the teacher make to this time, and do not ask the teacher for a make-up. If you will miss a lesson, please let me know at least 24hours in advance as a courtesy. I reserve the right to discontinue a student after 3 no-shows.
- Do not bring a sick child or parent to a lesson: use the time instead to rest and recuperate. Skype is an option if the child is contagious but still feels well enough to play.
- While attendance at every concert/outreach event is encouraged, a student must attend a minimum of 2 events in the course of the school year to retain their slot in the studio.
- A minimum of 6 summer lessons will be required to retain the slot in the studio. If our schedules do not mesh well, then this requirement can be met through another teacher.
- Phone calls are the best way to discuss sensitive issues. Please email me to set up a time to speak on the phone.
- If changes are taking place in the home situation, please let me know so I can adjust my teaching to the emotional needs of your child.
- If your child is having an emotionally difficult day, please let me know via text before he/she arrives at the lesson so I can approach him/her with sensitivity.
Lessons in Natick begin at $40/half-hour
Lessons in Cambridge begin at $45/half-hour